Amy was a core member of the creative team that developed the Puppetry in Performance project for the Design Department at Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. For this project, Amy directed five annual, outdoor, promenade performances and wrote adaptations for two. In each, she collaborated closely with composer Dan Jones and student-led design teams overseen by Christine Marfleet, Tina Reeves, Chris Pirie and Ian Buchanon. Each production involved over forty designer-maker-performers, actors, stage managers and musicians.
Within this project Amy directed nearly every style and scale of puppetry imaginable including banraku, marionettes, table top, shadow, carnival style, body worn and dummy, rod puppets and others. The project also required that she responded sensitively to site specificity– ancient castles, found spaces, urban or rural outdoor settings. To do this, she employed a range of spatial and site responsive performance practices alongside conventional research about each place to ensure a good ‘fit’; one that brought new perspectives and fresh imaginings to each setting. Her extensive experience as a street performer ensured good sight lines and sound quality. She also developed quick and effective methods of working with non-professional performers to create large-scale ensemble action, choreography and atmospheres.
Wonderful and extraordinary stories, derived from the worlds of Kafka, Schulz, Svankmejer and Beckett – unique performances that fire the imagination and animate the inanimate.
The effect was completely absorbing… an utterly charming performance…leaving its audience fulfilled but still questioning what they have just witnessed.
The Big Issue
- Alice Through the Looking Glass, (adapted by Amy Rose, directed by Emma Williams) Cardiff City Centre, Wales
- The Secret, (directed by Amy Rose, written by Christine Marfleet) Bute Park, Cardiff, Wales
- Unfinished Stories and Stranger Tales (directed by Amy Rose, written by Christine Marfleet.) RWCMD buildings, Cardiff, Wales and Prague Quadrennial of Performance Design and Space, Czech Republic.
- Wide Awake and Dreaming, (adapted from Kafka’s Metamorphosis, directed by Amy Rose) RWCMD buildings and campus, Cardiff, Wales
- Fishwish, (directed by Amy Rose, written by Jeff Young). St. Donat’s Castle, St. Donats, Wales
- The Insect Play, (adapted and directed by Amy Rose) Tretower Court, Crickhowell, Wales
You can read more about this project here.